Things to know about the roof of your house
Have you ever paid attention to the roof of your house? Probably not! But you should as it is the most important part of your house. Damage to the roof can result in damage to the whole house. The best way to sort this out is by arranging an appointment with a professional roofer. R2 Roof Guys are a great option for people living in Garland, Texas. They can talk to you about the condition of your rood and give you a quote about the repair cost. It is best to get the roof checked every 10 years or so.
Important parts of the roof:
When we move into our house, we never think about the parts of our roof. But it is important to have some knowledge about it so that you can notify a roofer about the exact problem. So, we will list some of the parts that make up the roof:
- Decking or Sheathing: This is the base of the roof and it is made of plywood. This is also the bed for the upcoming shingles.
- Underlayment: This is the layer that will go between the decking and the shingles. It provides the roof with an adequate protection against damaging elements water, snow, ice etc. It is generally black in colour. This membrane is attached to the decking.
- Flashing: Flashings are important to collect the water that can possess damage to the roof. They are made of metal and installed in places like valleys and hips of the roof.
- Shingles or Tiles: These form the outermost layer of the roof and are made of several different materials. They add protection to the roof and also make it aesthetically pleasing. The materials include clay, slate, wood, metal, concrete etc. People have used them for their roofs for more than 5,000 years.
- Roof Vents: Vents made of plastic or metal are attached to the roof to provide airflow into the attic. Several types of ventilation are available for the roof.
So, these are the common parts of a roof. Apart from these, there are other things that one can attach to the roof. The materials and need also change due to the different designs of the roof. It takes time and dedication to work on the roof adequately. Contact a professional roofing company to know intricately about your roof and also to check out if they do roof inspections.